Important Aspect of Design Registration
- The term Industrial Design, is known as the design, the surface pattern or the shape associated with a product or an article which is unique in nature.
- The design registration in India under the Designs Act, 2000 has defined the term design under Section 2(d) as, only the features of shape, configuration, pattern.
- The registration of a design in India confers on the applicant the exclusive right against unauthorized copying and imitation of his design by third parties.
- Design registration offers protection of their products from imitation and piracy as well as the right to authorize third parties to use their design.
- Registration of designs is becoming increasingly popular as the Indian courts are adjudicating in relation to design protection and registration efficiently and in a time bound manner.
Advantages of Design Registration
- Designs can make a product into a brand desired by customers and hence increase and consolidate market share.
- Licensing design rights can provide a valuable income stream.
- Designs can be used as a way of raising capital, for example, as security for a loan.
- The rights to exploit a design can be sold.
- A reputation for innovative product design can add significant value to your business.